Tuesday, June 3, 2014

30 - parade

#100happydays

day 30 (May 26, Memorial Day)


I love a parade. 

I have fond memories of watching parades growing up, then participating in them as part of Girl Scouts or my high school marching band. I miss marching backwards as a drum major, leading the band as we played for cheering crowds lining the streets of my hometown.

This year for Memorial Day, I chose to see my cousin march in his local parade in central Wisconsin. (He's the tall quad drum player in the middle.) It was the shortest parade I've ever attended: 20 minutes, start to finish. Lots of tractors, too. That's a small town for ya :)

After the parade, there was a program at the veterans' memorial park (the end of the parade route). The band played a few tunes, there was some speaking, a few prayers, and an official (what I think was) 21-gun salute and memorial ceremony with Taps played. The other neat thing was that the high school choir sang a song as part of the program. I thought that was a really nice touch, adding some variety to the program and good performing experience for students. (It was also awesome to hear my cousin sing and play in one day, since I never get to do that.)

I hope your Memorial Day was enjoyable and meaningful. 
Thank you to those who have and will make that ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment