day 39 (June 4)
This evening, I got to play for eighth grade graduation at my morning school.
I played some fun classical violin duets with a friend and school board member. The whole event/ceremony/thingy was really neat. It wasn't too long, but wasn't too short. There were a variety of components which kept things moving along well - music, a couple of speeches, a forensics (speech) piece, an amusing and interactive sharing of fun school memories, handing flowers to parents, recognition of accomplishments and awards, diplomas, and exit music. The class has about 25 students total, and afterward they all lined up in a sort of receiving line. Remembering back to my middle school years, I bet that felt rather awkward for some of my students :)
For the record, they chose this Maya Angelou quote earlier in the quarter, before she passed away. It carries a bit more meaning, now.
My eighth graders and I have had our fair share of ups and downs this year, and I know that not everyone liked my class,
but these students will always hold a special place in my heart.
I am so glad I got to be a part of this stage of their lives.

No comments:
Post a Comment