day 46 (June 11)
The Spirit was moving today.
Big time.
I have SO many things that made today happy:
- sleeping in
- a 2-hour Skype conversation with my mom
- getting excited about and planning all the fun things I'm doing this summer
- quality, not rushed, caring conversations with two coworkers
- being a responsible adult and getting a bunch of stuff done, including getting my oil changed
- working out more details for when I can go volunteer at camp in a few weeks!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!! And having my offer to help in this particular week be the absolute grace of God and exactly the sort of person that camp needed for that week!
- giving the message and leading worship at church
- catching up on blog posts
- realizing how I've matured and grown, and feeling great about it
- enjoying the gorgeous weather, including driving with my windows down
I'm definitely a script-preacher, though sometimes more word-for-word than other times. Today was an 'other time,' so I have notes but not a full script that I can share with y'all.
I will, however, elaborate on some things, semi-stream-of-consciousness style.
I wasn't sure what the lectionary reading would be for the coming Sunday (that's what we usually do for our Wednesday services, unless someone else wants to do something different), so I picked the Pentecost reading from Acts 2. This passage happens to be what I read at the Baccalaureate service the day I graduated from college two years ago. (Has it really been that long? HOLY CATFISH!)
For some added inspiration, I turned to my daily devotional podcast, pray-as-you-go. Each podcast incorporates some contemplative, meditative music; a scripture reading; and some reflection questions.
There were some great questions and things to think about on the Pentecost Sunday episode:
Perhaps that is how God communicates to us, speaking to us not always through words but in your experiences, your needs, your desires and hopes, stirring feelings in your heart or (less poetically) in your gut; reaching you in a way that you just instinctively recognize
Small communities are beautiful.
There were only three of us, including myself. At first, it looked like it was going to be just two, so we waited a few extra minutes after the service was supposed to start, and, lo and behold, another part of our community appeared! We have a core group of about 8 people who are likely to show up on a given Wednesday. Before summer hit, we decided to commit to continue weekly services, knowing that some weeks they would be sparse because of vacations, etc. We wanted to continue coming together for fellowship and refueling in the middle of the week.
I am so thankful for this little community.
Since our Wednesday services are small, it's easy to incorporate congregational participation in the message, so I did. The three of us had some quality and comfortable conversation mid-sermon.
I felt so comfortable and 'at home' leading worship. I basically led every component of the service.
Liturgy, music, readings, message, prayers...
it was super invigorating.
I felt so
alive.
I am so thankful for this little community.
Since our Wednesday services are small, it's easy to incorporate congregational participation in the message, so I did. The three of us had some quality and comfortable conversation mid-sermon.
I felt so comfortable and 'at home' leading worship. I basically led every component of the service.
Liturgy, music, readings, message, prayers...
it was super invigorating.
I felt so
alive.
I have always been captivated by communion liturgy
and tonight was no exception.
Communion is often my favorite part of a service.
What are some ways that the Spirit speaks to you?
and tonight was no exception.
Communion is often my favorite part of a service.
It is in this simple meal that Jesus says to us,
I love you. Remember me.
What are some ways that the Spirit speaks to you?
What are some ways that you feel God's presence?
God uses the little things to remind us of God's glory and love and presence -
don't forget to listen.
Amen.
God uses the little things to remind us of God's glory and love and presence -
don't forget to listen.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment