Friday, June 20, 2014

54 - conversation

#100happydays

day 54 (June 19, or Juneteenth, the commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States)

As a teacher, summer is my off season. I'm still getting used to it, but I'm beginning to realize that for me, summer
means
conversations. 

Catching up with people I haven't felt like I've had time to talk to because of school. 
Spending time with my family. 
Traveling all over the place to visit my friends.
Taking time to just speak and listen.

Tonight was another major realization of this gift of summer conversation with which I have been blessed: 
I spent two hours and thirty eight minutes on FaceTime with one of my best friends from camp. 

He's getting married in, like, A WEEK!
I've arranged and am part of a string ensemble playing the processional for the wedding. I was practicing tonight and was getting so excited that I just had to share with someone. 
Well, living alone, I figured I'd call someone and share over the phone or something. Since I'm keeping the music mostly secret (as per request from bride and groom), it was only logical to call my dear friend, the groom. 

I recorded the viola and cello parts on my electric piano, then I played along with my part. After some balance checks, adjusting the piano's volume, putting my mute on, and backing away from my phone, I played through it. It was GLORIOUS. 
Then we talked, caught up on what was going on in life, reminisced, shared...

This is what friendship is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment